- MSDN on Network Load Balancing WCF
Getting started with load balancing, information for basic Http, Dual Http, and Net Tcp bindings. This is targeting how using external NLB software / hardware appliances affect your WCF configuration and design.
- Kenny Wolf on WCF with NLB
Some interesting information and comments on WCF TCP behaviour under NLB.
- Any Technology Blog on Load Balancing WCF
There seems to be three options:
- Utilise external hardware or software NLB'ers. (This is noted by Microsoft as the best practise approach).
- Manually partition your clients so that they hard wired to point to one of service instances. This approach doesn't give good balance but its straight forward in some simple instances.
- Hand craft discovery and balancing code inside your application. This gives the widest fail over options and balancing flexibility. The significant downsides are the workload to develop, and runtime hosting training and maintenance.